Last updated on October 9th, 2017 at 10:50 am
Enjoy your holiday with our Labor Day health tips. You and your family want to make it memorable and fun. Getting sick on or before the holiday, however, can spoil everything. Enjoy the last weekend of summer by feeling and looking great using the following Labor Day health tips.
What is Labor Day?
Studies show that fewer people every year understand the meaning behind Labor Day. The holiday commemorates the organized labor movement and how it changed the American employment landscape during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Thirty states caved into union pressure to celebrate Labor Day before the U.S. Congress created the national holiday in 1894 after the deadly Pullman Strike. Historians trace the violence of the labor movement to the beginning of an organized labor thugocracy that still has surviving remnants.
You can justify their observance of Labor Day by recognizing their accomplishments through the first eight months of the year, even though they have not joined a union. Summer doesn’t officially end on Labor Day, but the culture traditionally considers it as the time when autumn fashions become acceptable daily attire.
How do I avoid Labor Day health risks?
Most people regard Labor Day as a time for fun with family members and friends. Unfortunately, Labor Day has a dark side. Fortune Magazine reports that Labor Day highway fatalities continue increasing. U.S. officials expect more than 400 deaths to result from motor vehicle accidents this year, the highest in almost a decade. Drive safely and make sure you and your family buckle up during your Labor Day travel.
Food-related illnesses also take a toll on fun-loving vacationers on Labor Day. Learn from the following Labor Day health tips to avoid some of the common risks you face during the long weekend.
- Contaminated raw food including meat, fish, and shellfish contain pathogens that can cause severe abdominal distress. Salads and uncooked vegetables can contain cyclospora, E Coli and other parasites (just ask Olive Garden and Chipotle).
- Standing cooked food accumulates dangerous bacteria that can cause prolonged sickness. Don’t eat cooked food that has cooled to room temperature.
- Fruit can accumulate numerous pathogens on their skins. Water used to wash fruit can also contaminate it. Don’t eat fruit unless you peel it yourself.
- The number of sunburn cases substantially increases during the Labor Day weekend. According to Up and Up Sport Sunscreen reviews, the SPF 50 product easily applies via a continuous mist and provides water resistance for up to 80 minutes. CPG Health subscribers prefer the Up and Up product because it works just as well (or better) than Coppertone and it costs less.
- Children playing outside in the yard or on the beach often make themselves sick by putting dirty hands in their mouth or rubbing their eyes. Keep hand and face wipes available at all times to keep your kids from ruining the holiday.
- Swimming-related illnesses. Improper pH levels and inadequate disinfectants in the water can ruin your day and send someone you love to the emergency room.
- Emergency medical care. Accidents happen on Labor Day, so learn the locations of nearby urgent care facilities and hospitals as soon as you arrive at your destination. The extra effort can save a life by getting faster medical treatment.
What health and beauty products make Labor Day fun?
Keep essential health and beauty products on hand throughout the Labor Day weekend to ensure that you have a great time. Follow our Labor Day health tips to have uninterrupted fun during your last summer fling.
- Best OTC Stomach Medicine: Equate Cimetidine. When you overeat or choose the wrong food to eat, Cimetidine can help. Take one tablet before you eat to prevent heartburn and excess stomach acid. You can also take a tablet after you eat or when you feel symptoms of acid indigestion for quick, long-lasting relief.
- Best Children’s Sunscreen: Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Stick Sunscreen. The product easily applies and doesn’t wash off when your children get wet.
- Best Moisturizing Lotion: Equate All Day Moisture Lotion SPF 15. Keep your sensitive skin looking and feeling beautiful. The built-in sunscreen eliminates the need for multiple skin-care products.
- Best First Aid Kit: Small First Aid Kit 100 Piece: Car, Home, Survival. Don’t waste your fun time trying to find a pharmacy to buy commonly needed remedies. The kit includes all you need to survive in case of minor wounds and illnesses in the car or on vacation. Bring your first aid kit with you while camping or enjoying the beach.
- Best Toilet Seat Protection: Labor Day means you’ll need to use whatever restroom you can find. When you see the toilet, you’ll instantly know why you need a toilet sanitizer. Ewww! Don’t sit down on bacteria and pathogen breeding grounds. Sterilize the toilet seat first, so you and your family can have peace of mind.
- Best Swim Ear Treatment: Swim-Ear Ear-Water Drying Aid. Clear trapped water from your ears and those of your kids with the easy-to-use drops.